Creating an illustration for patents is a completely different affair as it involves strict compliance with the patent regulatory norms of the intended jurisdiction. Unlike other forms of illustration, here, the draftsperson needs to have a complete understanding of the subject matter as well as the patent illustration rules set forth by the respective patent office. Irrespective of the fact whether you are intending to file a utility patent or a design patent, a patent illustration can improve the likelihood of patent approval. Thus it is important for applicants to create their illustration with the utmost care and precision. Moreover, he/she must be aware of patent illustration requirements.
Before proceeding further, do not forget to go through the facts for creating a patent illustration.
Common Benefits of Patent Illustration
- Makes the idea easy to understand
- Enables the patent attorney to describe how to make the invention step by step
- It is always better to be safe than sorry
- Helps grab the attention of the prospective licensee
- Helps make points while litigating with infringers
Since patent illustration is a structured and legal document it has got some special requirements. Fulfillment of those requirements should be by the applicant, with this article, we came up with those requirements which are pursue by a patent office more than often. Understanding these special requirements for patent illustration we can increase the chances of getting our application approved manifold.
Thus, with this article, we came up with enlisting those patent illustration requirements. This will help applicants save plenty of their precious time and resources. Without much ado let’s list those requirements.
Patent Illustration Requirements
- Illustration shall be executed in durable, black, sufficiently dense and dark, uniformly thick and well-defined, lines and strokes without colorings. Patent Illustration Requirements
- Cross-sections shall be indicated by oblique hatching which should not impede the clear reading of the reference signs and leading lines.
- The scale of the illustration and the distinctness of their graphical execution shall be such that a photographic reproduction with a linear reduction in size to two-thirds would enable all details to have differentiation without difficulty.
- When, in exceptional cases, the scale is on an illustration, its representation must be in graphical form.
- All numbers, letters and reference lines, appearing in the illustration, shall be simple and clear. Avoidance of brackets, circles or inverted commas must be in association with numbers and letters.
- All lines in the illustration shall, ordinarily, be with the aid of drafting instruments.
- Each element of each figure shall be in proper proportion to each other elements in the figure. However, except where the use of a different proportion is indispensable for the clarity of the figure.
- The height of the numbers and letters shall not be less than 0.32 cm. For the lettering of illustration, the Latin and, where customary, one should prefer Greek alphabets. Patent Illustration Requirements
- The same sheet of illustration may contain several figures. Where figures on two or more sheets form in effect a single complete figure. Moreover, the arrangement of figures on the several sheets should be such that the figure becomes complete without concealing any part of any of the figures appearing on the various sheets.
- The arrangement of different figures shall be on a sheet or sheets without wasting space. Preferably in an upright position, clearly at some distance from one another. If the figures arrangement is not in an upright position, they shall be present sideways with the top of the figures on the left side of the sheet.
- The different figures shall be numbered in Arabic numerals consecutively and independently of the numbering of the sheets.
- Reference signs not mentioned in the description shall not appear in the illustration, and vice versa.
- The same features, when one prefers reference signs for denotations, then, he/she should throughout the international application, denote by the same signs.
- If the illustration contains a large number of reference signs then, one needs to attach a separate sheet listing all reference signs and the features denoted by them.
The PatSketch Assistance
Our experienced team at PatSketch cater to all your patent illustration related needs. Our main aim is to provide prompt and accurate illustration service at the most economical outlay. To know more about our patent drawing services and pricing structure, please visit our pricing page. You will also get an idea about our work from the free drawing samples hosted on our website.
Patent Illustration Requirements